Bentley Facts Page 7
- Laika was he first dog in space. Laika was aboard the Soviet satellite Sputnik 2 in 1957.
- Some historians report that a dog named Saur, or Suening was "king" of Norway for three years during the 11th century AD. The
Norwegian king, angry that his subjects once deposed him, put Saur on the throne and demanded that it be treated regally.
- The Basenji is the only domestic dog that only breeds once a year. It is also the only domestic dog breed that does not
bark. Basenji dogs and Australian dingoes are virtually identical.
- In the United States and France, almost one in three families own a dog. Germany and Switzerland only have one dog for every
ten families. They need more dogs!
- The common belief that dogs are colorblind is false. Dogs can see color but it is not as vivid a color scheme as we see. It
is much like our vision at twilight.
- Dogs do not chew up our things to "get back" at us. Dogs are attracted to our remotes and other prized belongings because our
scent is so strong and chewing releases agents which help to calm our dogs.
- Having a pet is good for the heart: dog owners who suffer heart attacks or irregular heartbeats are 8.5 times more likely to
be alive 1 year after the diagnosis than non-dog owners.
- Some noted scientists point out that domestication of dogs by capturing, taming, and breeding wolves is unrealistic because
the resources of early man and long term planning required to control the yearly mating for the many years necessary to implement
a genetic change would have been overwhelming.
- Many allergies are associated with the dander (dry skin that flakes off and floats through the air) produced by the dog and
not the dog himself. The poodle, maltese, portuguese water dog, bedlington terrier, and dachshund, are a few breeds noted for
producing less dander.
- A Mexican hairless would not do well in the cold climate of the Rocky Mountains, but an Alaskan malamute would be perfectly
- The expense of keeping a dog is proportional to his size. A very big dog may be just what you think you need but remember, he
will eat like a big dog and veterinary bills (for antibiotics, heartworm preventative treatment, etc.) will be higher.
- Most novice owners would be well advised to avoid breeds genetically selected for enhanced aggression, such as pit bulls,
rottweilers, chow -chows, and akitas.
Bentley Facts Page 1
| Bentley Facts Page 2
| Bentley Facts Page 3
| Bentley Facts Page 4
Bentley Facts Page 5
| Bentley Facts Page 6
| Bentley Facts Page 7
| Bentley Facts Page 8
Bentley Facts Page 9
| Bentley Facts Page 10
| Bentley Facts Page 11