Bentley Facts Page 6
- Play biting and mouthing are normal canine behaviors. Teaching dogs about bite inhibition should be conducted when they are
- Dogs that play bite and mouth as adults are often the result of rough, inappropriate play by adults and children when the
dogs were younger.
- Begging at the table is the result of someone feeding the dog from the table.
- Assertive puppies need more structure and shy puppies need more socialization.
- Tests have shown that a dog cannot see its owner when the owner stands a mere 300 yards away, but is not moving. However, a
dog can easily detect someone a mile away waving his arms!
- Dogs and bitches do not get fat simply as a result of sterilization surgery. Like other mammals, they gain weight if they eat
too much and exercise too little or are genetically programmed to be hefty.
- There are many myths about canine reproductive needs. Chiefly among these are the suspicion that neutering turns a male into
a sissy and spaying causes a female to get fat and to lament her lost capacity.
- Heat cycles in fertile bitches bring hormonal changes that can lead to personality changes. Repeated heat cycles subject the
reproductive system to uterine and mammary cancers and uterine infections.
- The average life span for dogs has increased from 7 years in the 1930's to more than 12 years today. With the right care,
it's not uncommon for dogs to live to 14 or more these days.
- Veterinarians generally consider small dogs to be senior citizens at about 12 years of age, while large dogs reach the senior
stage at 6 to 8 years of age. This roughly corresponds to the 55-plus category in people.
- Problems with vision and hearing are natural as a dog ages. Accommodate these changes as best you can -- by not changing the
location of furniture, for example, or clapping instead of calling your dog's name when he no longer seems able to hear you.
- Feeding your dog table scraps from rich, fatty meals can give your dog gastroenteritis or pancreatitis.
Bentley Facts Page 1
| Bentley Facts Page 2
| Bentley Facts Page 3
| Bentley Facts Page 4
Bentley Facts Page 5
| Bentley Facts Page 6
| Bentley Facts Page 7
| Bentley Facts Page 8
Bentley Facts Page 9
| Bentley Facts Page 10
| Bentley Facts Page 11